Community Sail Away Program
The Community Sail Away program offers community groups in the New York area an opportunity to experience sailing in New York Harbor. There is no charge – community groups organize themselves to reserve a Sunday morning and we look after the rest. Boats and facilities are provided by the Sail Club and Club members volunteer their time to skipper and crew boats for the sailing trips.
How to participate
- Community groups contact us to reserve a Sunday morning during our upcoming sailing season. We’ll confirm the reservation.
- The community group is responsible for selecting participants from their programs.
- Just show up at the ONE°15 Brooklyn Marina and we’ll do the rest.
- Each session consists of two 90-minute trips. Trip 1 leaves the dock at 9:00 am and Trip 2 leaves the dock at 10:30 am. Each trip can take out a group of four people.
- The Program can take up to eight people with two trips each Sunday morning.
How it works on the day of sailing
- Participants check-in at ONE°15 Brooklyn Marina, Pier 5, Brooklyn Bridge Park, 30 minutes prior to the trip’s departure
- Suggested clothing: Appropriate for activity for the weather conditions – athletic shoes, jacket, hat and sunglasses
- Sign Sail Club waiver
- Attend a quick orientation/briefing
- Help the skipper and crew set up the boat and then depart and set sail
- Go out sailing for about 60 minutes
- Help the skipper return and crew and clean up
- Limitations – Participants must be 18 years or older and must have physical ability to safely get on and off the boats, move around the boat, use an adult life jacket (provided) and able to sign waiver. For participants, less than 18 years of age (youth), must provide an adult participant to be responsible and accompany their participation. Guardians must sign a waiver for the youth.
- Ability to swim not a requirement
- No pets (other than service animals with special scheduling needed) on board
Skippers are Sail Club Coaches or experienced Sail Club Members. Crew are volunteers from the Community Dock or Sail Club Members. The skippers have the final authority in taking out participants and whether or not it is safe for the session.
Participating Community Groups
- Khalil Gibran International Academy
- Kamit Preparatory Institute
- Fort Greene Park Conservancy
- Safe Families for Children
- Portside New York
- NYPD – 84th Precinct Neighborhood Co-ordination
- Eventbrite (free sailing)
- Cherry Kids Inc.
Dates for 2019
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information.